INGREDIENTS – this makes about 1 litre milk
1.5 cups almonds
4 cups water
2 pitted dates
1 tsp vanilla extract (OPTIONAL)
- Soak the almonds in water for 8 – 48 hours, changing the water twice a day;
- After the almonds have been soaked for the desired time, place all ingredients in the blender;
- Blend 2 – 3 minutes;
- Place through nut milk bag. Have a bowl to catch the milk while you squeeze the bag with one hand (like you are milking a cow);
- Place in a glass bottle and place in the fridge;
- Enjoy chilled;
- All nut milks will last in the fridge for 4 days.
- You can use other nuts as well ie brazil nuts (use 1 cup in recipe) or hazelnuts.
- The vanilla extract is not essential – it’s for flavour.
- Almond pulp can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 4 months or you can use the pulp in bread, cookies, (flourless) cakes, etc
- I prefer to use biodynamic or organic nuts and dates and filtered water.
- Personally, I only soak the nuts for 24 hours.